Japandroids: Under The Influence Playlist
If there's any other musician in a band that gets stick more frequently than the drummer, we've yet to hear it. David Prowse is perfectly aware of that, so the Japandroids drummer decided that it was time to give something back.
He's no slouch behind the kit himself (anyone who's ever seen him on stage will agree), and in between rehearsals for their forthcoming UK and European tour, he found time to put together an Under the Influence playlist for us, paying tribute to his favourite drummers.
You can check out the band at the current dates:
- July 12th - Portugal, Lisbon, Optimus Alive Festival
- July 14th - UK, Leeds, Brudenell Social Club
- July 16th - UK, Brighton, The Haunt
- July 17th - UK, London, Dingwalls
- July 18th - UK, London, Dingwalls
- July 19th - UK, Southwold, Latitude Festival
- July 21st - Ireland, Dublin, Longitude
- July 23rd - France, Paris, Nouveau Casino
- July 25th - Germany, Munich, Ahoirock
- July 26th - Germany, Grossenfehn, Omas Teich Fest
- July 27th - Germany, Berlin, Greenville Festival
- July 29th - Austria, Feldkirch, Poolbar Festival
- July 30th - Switzerland, Zurich, Rote Fabrik - Summerstage
- August 1st - Russia, Moscow, B2
- August 2nd - Russia, St Petersburg, Da:Da Club
- August 4th - Poland, Katowice, Off Festival
Q: What do you call a guy who hangs out with musicians all day?
A: A drummer
I have heard that joke about 50 million times in my life, usually from bandmates, and every time they tell it people think it's so funny. Us drummers never get any respect, so I thought in solidarity I would put together a mix of a bunch of my favourite drumming ever put on tape (or Protools). I tried to avoid the obvious choices. I mean, I love John Bonham and Keith Moon, but even I'm sick of hearing about how great they are, you know? Maybe Max Weinberg is an obvious choice, perhaps, but I just couldn't avoid getting that song in there.
This mix starts off with one of my all time favourite drum fills, which I've always called the "coke machine fill" because it reminds me of the sound of a can of coke falling down a vending machine right after you've ordered it. Yes it's super simple, but it's still one of the most satisfying sounds I've ever heard.
From there, my choices are a bit all over the place but the one thing all these songs have in common is that I love the drumming in every one of them. From the precise layered percussion on 'Move On Up' to the simple but explosive sound of 'Shot Down', to the sloppily perfect chaos of hometown heroes Run Chico Run and Ghost House, I love each and every one of these songs as much now as when I first heard them.
- The Temptations - 'Ain't Too Proud to Beg'
- Curtis Mayfield - 'Move on Up'
- The Sonics - 'Shot Down'
- Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - 'Roulette'
- Constantines - 'Nightime/Anytime (It's Alright)'
- Murder City Devils - 'Rum to Whiskey'
- Sleater-Kinney - 'All Hands on the Bad One'
- Run Chico Run - 'Part of My Brain is Working Against Me' [Listen on Spotify]
- Ghost House - 'No Pressure'
- North of America - 'Rough Draft Korea'
Don't Miss Out
Stay Connected with The 405
- Follow @the405
Today's Mix/Cover/Live + MP3 Roundup includes White Hinterland, Japandroids, The Gaslight Anthem & Railcars. Remix MP3: Railcars - Cathedral With No Eyes (White Rainbow Remix) Cover MP3: The Gaslight Anthem â I Do Not Hook Up (Kelly Clarkson) Live MP3: Japandroids - Heart Sweats MP3 Of The Day! White Hinterland MP3: White Hinterland - Icarus http://www.whitehinterland.com/ [read more]
Listen to the cover, and grab it as a B-side. [read more]
When our friends over at BBC 6 Music asked us for our "Top 3 artists of the year so far" we exhaled much more air than could've possibly been in our lungs at the time. Its the kind of question that requires serious care and attention before producing an answer. [read more]
Japandroids have announced details of their second single release in their series of one-off 7âs. âYounger Usâ will be released on the 19th July in the UK through Polyvinyl, with the US following the next day on the 20th July. The B-side is a cover of X's "Sex And Dying In High Society", preorder this 7â by clicking here! www.myspace.com/japandroids [read more]