It's been a rather eventful few days with the on-going saga of Jussie Smollett's alleged attack in late January in Chicago.

Two unnamed law enforcement sources close to the investigation told CNN that the Chicago PD now believe the Empire actor paid two men to "orchestrate an assault" on him. Smollett emphatically denies the accusation.

This development came after the two men were arrested and released without charges after two days of questioning, with the investigators citing "new evidence" in the case. The two men – who are reportedly brothers, one of whom was an extra on Empire – are now reportedly cooperating fully with law enforcement.

"The new direction of the investigation is now based on the premise that Mr. Smollett was an active participant in the incident," a law enforcement source close to the situation told Deadline.

This idea of Smollett being an "active participant" in his own attack was only a theory before now. A Chicago PD statement late Saturday read, "We can confirm that the information received from the individuals questioned by police earlier in the Empire case has in fact shifted the trajectory of the investigation." This statement was the first official statement on the case since the two detained men were released.

Smollett's attorneys issued a new statement Saturday, which ir printed below in full.

"As a victim of a hate crime who has cooperated with the police investigation, Jussie Smollett is angered and devastated by recent reports that the perpetrators are individuals he is familiar with. He has now been further victimized by claims attributed to these alleged perpetrators that Jussie played a role in his own attack. Nothing is further from the truth and anyone claiming otherwise is lying.

One of these purported suspects was Jussie's personal trainer who he hired to ready him physically for a music video. It is impossible to believe that this person could have played a role in the crime against Jussie or would falsely claim Jussie's complicity.

Jussie and his attorneys anticipate being further updated by the Chicago Police Department on the status of the investigation and will continue to cooperate. At the present time, Jussie and his attorneys have no inclination to respond to 'unnamed' sources inside of the investigation, but will continue discussions through official channels."

Fox, for its part, has not released a new statement at the time of this writing.

This is still a developing story. Stay tuned to The 405 for more verified information on this as we hear it.