This week ABADABAD released their incredible new EP, The Wild, which we said would "still easily soundtrack lazy days in the park or Indian summer barbeque action." I don't know about you, but that sounds like a pretty great way to do things, even with the impending cold of autumn creeping into our bones.
To mark its release we asked Jeremy from the band to put together his Fantasy Band line-up, and we think he nailed it.
My fantasy band would be:
- Vox: Van Morrison
- Rhythm Guitar/Vox: Neil Young
- Drums: Levon Helm (The Band)
- Bass: Rick Danko (The Band)
- Piano: Billy Powell (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
- Lead Guitar 1: Chet Atkins
- Lead Guitar 2: Duane Allman (The Allman Brothers)
- Pedal Steel: Ben Keith (Neil Young)
- Background Vox: Carole & Erma Franklin (Aretha Franklin)
- String Section: from Electric Light Orchestra
- Synths/Textures/Wizardry: Rick Wakeman (Yes)
At the core of this group would be one of the best country/rock rhythm sections to ever walk the earth with Helm/Danko. Definite x-factor would be Rick Wakeman, but he has the ears to add pad synths to nearly anything so I doubt it would be out of place. This band is more of the country/western/americana style I've been into as of late, but catch me on another day and I'd be doing a synth-pop thing based entirely around Prince.
I would call this group Pure American Brothers which is a line from the song 'Lost in the Flood' by Bruce Spingsteen (who should, admittedly, probably be on the list).
The group would only release a 3xLP live album that I would like and everybody else would think is lame.